My name is KJ/Kerry-Jean.
I’m a 24 year old trying to make it in the exciting world of teaching high school history. Due to the complete lack of available education jobs right now, I’m currently stuck working as a substitute teacher. The only highlight of this situation is that I had ample time to complete my Master’s Degree in History.
Reading has always been a passion of mine. What started as an interest in classic mythology and fairy tales as a kid has now blossomed into a fairly substantial obsession with building up my personal library. I don’t read for escapism, but rather to push my mind to new limits, so I’ll admit to being a bit of snob when it comes to literature. I will always read a book before criticizing it, but I have difficulty taking some of my friends seriously when they gush over the newest romances or vampire trends.
This blog is my love note to literature. I use it to explore many different genres at once, discuss some of my favorite authors, and highlight books that I feel deserve more credit from the general audience. If you ever have suggestions or are looking for recommendations, I’m all ears.
“Gender Bias in College Admissions Tests”, FairTest.org
And then people urge me everything is fine, of course it is, when you’re ignoring statistics that is.
Feminist and Queer interpretations of fairy tales are some of my favourite books, I’d recommend The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter and Kissing the Witch by Emma Donoghue.
If you have any more recommendations for me please leave them in my ask :)
Honestly, I haven’t really listened to music since I was in high school. I’m not terribly inclined towards music. That territory is dominated by my older brother, who is a music teacher and professional clarinet player. He was born with all the good auditory taste while I was left with the dregs.
90% of my mp3 player is filled with NPR podcasts: Radio Lab, Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me, This American Life, and Ask Me Another. The remaining 10% is made up of music from actual CDs that I’ve bought over the years: lots of Broadway original cast recordings, They Might be Giants, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Coltrane, Modest Mouse, Weezer, and Joni Mitchell.
I want to read a really heart breaking story where it doesn’t end well.
But the biggest surprise of “Aschenputtel” [Grimm brothers version of the Cinderella story] is that it’s not about landing the prince. It is about the girl herself: her strength, her perseverance, her cleverness. It is a story, really, about her evolution from child to woman.
It is Cinderella herself who plants the magic tree and requests the finery for the ball (which is celebrated over the course of three days). She walks to the party each night rather than traveling by enchanted coach. She leaves not because she has some arbitrarily imposed curfew but because she has danced enough. Then she escapes both the pursuing prince and her own father by hiding in a dovecote or nimbly scaling a tree.
When the prince finally comes a-calling, shoe in hand, Cinderella greets him in her sooty rags. He may be looking for the beauty with the dainty foot, but, as Joan Gould, the author of Spinning Straw into Gold, notes, she demands that he witness the woman she has been, dirt and all, not just the one she will become. So while he provides the occasion for her transformation, he is not the one responsible for it— she can only do that for herself."
- from Cinderella Ate My Daughter: Dispatches from the Front Lines of the New Girlie-Girl Culture by Peggy Orenstein. (via feminishblog)